dinsdag, december 10, 2013

How well have I applied his lessons in my own life? (Obama on Mandela)


'It took a man like Madiba to free not just the prisoner, but the jailer as well, to show that you must trust others so that they may trust you; to teach that reconciliation is not a matter of ignoring a cruel past, but a means of confronting it with inclusion and generosity and truth.  He changed laws, but he also changed hearts.
For the people of South Africa, for those he inspired around the globe, Madiba’s passing is rightly a time of mourning, and a time to celebrate a heroic life.  But I believe it should also prompt in each of us a time for self-reflection.  With honesty, regardless of our station or our circumstance, we must ask:  How well have I applied his lessons in my own life?  It’s a question I ask myself, as a man and as a President.'
- Barack Obamas Nelson Mandela Memorial Speech, 10thDec2013


0 reacties:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More